Today, March 8th, 2018, is International Woman’s Day, and as I said to my wife this morning, “Happy International Woman’s Day! I wish we didn’t need this day”, to which she responded, “Neither do we!”
International Women’s Day commemorates the movement for women’s rights, and is observed around the world with celebrations, protests, marches, and awareness that woman are people too.
It astounds me to think that in 2018, some women cannot drive, be elected to government, and cannot live their lives without being sexually harassed or assaulted just because they are women.
The “MeToo” movement really brought up a lot of controversial topics which were swept under the rug for way too long, which is why on this day, I support my wife and my daughter and hope that they will one day not be judged in comparison to men but on their own merit.
It still sickens me to think that on a daily basis, women all around the world are concerned about their physical well-being by the actions of men, just because of the fact they are women.
While so much has changed… As a society, we still have SO far to go!
Remember how we would muse that if women ran the world, there would be no wars, no wasted money, and everyone would get along…
The end of the world is near, and I’m not referring to the threats coming from North Korea and their “Rocketman”.
Okay, I am referring to this… somewhat.
I couldn’t help but notice today as I sat down to write about doctors declaring that sports drinks and energy drinks are bad for kids, or to vent about the weather, that the top 2 trending topics WORLDWIDE were these;
Trump I get…. He’s taunted North Korea, told the NFL owners that their players should be fired for bowing during the national anthem, and tells lots of stories daily, which may or may not be true.
But Kylie Jenner?
All of this because she may, or may not be pregnant.
I mean, who cares.
Every time I turn on my computer and the news comes up there are pictures of this girl with a bump, without a bump… Have we not always been told that you cannot be half pregnant?!?
I just don’t see the fascination in these people and their lives. What started with a sex tape and a naturally large / maybe surgically enhanced ass has become the daily obsession of millions of people.
Kylie might be pregnant.
Kim has 2 kids and bought them ice cream.
Bruce is no longer Bruce.
The other one… the tall one is married to a NBA player, then he flips out, then he almost dies, then they’re back together, then she loses weight, then he almost dies, then they’re back together. Wait, she’s out clubbing again…
Doesn’t even get me started about the other sister who has 3 kids, but divorced her husband because he’s an adulterer – oops, sorry – addicted to sex. Now he’s with a girl who could be his daughter…. UGH.
Breaking news! Kim farted!!!
Maybe the Kardashians and Donald Trump were sent to us as a test. A test of our patience, our morals and our compassion for others.
If we can survive them, we can do ANYTHING!
PS Saudi Arabia is going to allow woman to drive… in 2017. How ass-backwards is that!
I like when people comment on posts because it means I potentially have another blog to follow / enjoy / comment on, which led me to follow the blog from which I came across this article this morning.
The post title is “Cecilia Westbrook Makes Yogurt With Her Own Vaginal Bacteria” and to be perfectly honest, I opened the article to read because4 I didn’t know it was possible to do this.
A couple of paragraphs into the post I realized this blog is a Christian blog – which I follow and read even though I am not Christian because I appreciate well written posts regardless of who writes them, what religion they are or what political slant the article takes.
I finished reading the article unsure if there is any truth to this claim, but I did learn that in the eyes of the very devout Christians, this woman is a very BAD, Bad girl.
There was a whole lot of mentions of hell, demons, satan (not Miro Satan of the NHL, either) and other stuff.
So I went back to the source of the article, and found it here;
Not having a vagina, I didn’t feel the need to read on, but my interest had peaked and I’m not entirely sure if this is a hoax site or a real one. So I read on…
I learned there are cookbooks dedicated to bodily fluids (totally NOT searching that) and that the US Food and Drug Administration do not think this is a good idea because while there are probiotics in vaginal secretions, there are also imbalances which can cause yeast infections and you certainly do not want that flavour of yoghurt, do you?!?
I guess what had intrigued me was that there are so many pro-biotic yoghurts available for sale here in Canada, some even promoting better internal health, could the possibility exist that using human enzymes might be better than using something from a cow, sheep or pig?
But I had one last question…
If this post was written for a Sex Education feature on the website, why was the uber-Christian blogger reading it? It just seems so… uncultured.
So if you don’t know, (William) Bruce Jenner is a former U.S. track and field athlete and current motivational speaker and reality TV personality, who won the gold medal in the decathlon at the 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal.
He’s been getting ready for this transformation by stepping out recently sporting longer hair, fuller lips, painted nails, and diamond earrings.
He apparently has the full support of his 10 children and stepchildren, including stepdaughters Kourtney, Kim, Khloe, daughters Kendall and Kylie, and sons Brody and Brandon.
Not feeling very original today, lol, when I found this post sitting in my draft folder from April. It was mostly complete, only missing the last three songs, which at that time seemed impossible… That was until SongPop came along.
I love SongPop.
Too much. I’m good at it. REALLY good at it. Every, every genre, I can hold my own and some I kick ass in and some make me laugh but I feel bad for new challengers because with the tournament format of this game I’ve only been owned by 2 or 3 people. And by owner I mean losing all 10-15 games we play. In most cases, it’s me winning all the games, and certainly winning the tournaments.
Not that I’m keeping count, but in the 200 tournaments I have played, I would suspect that I have lost maybe 20 of them.
But let’s move past SongPop (challenge me if you would like to lose) and onto the this week’s Thursday Thirteen. So sit back, grab a box of kleenex, turn on iTunes and get ready to find your inner female.
Here are 13 cool songs about women.
13. “Beth” -Kiss. This 1976 tearjerker was a big hit for the rock group Kiss and although the name “Beth” was fictional, the song – about band members missing their ladies while they were out on tour – was all true.
12. “Rosanna” – Toto – The song was written by David Paich, who has said that the song is about several girls he had known. As a joke, the band members initially played along with the common assumption that the song was about Rosanna Arquette, who was dating Toto keyboard player Steve Porcaro at the time and coincidentally had the same name. Hmmmm. Had me fooled too.
11. “Sweet Caroline”- Neil Diamond. Although the identity of the “Caroline” in this 1969 song wasn’t discovered until 2007- when Neil Diamond revealed that the song was about Caroline Kennedy, who was 11-years-old at the time the song was recorded.
10. “Angie” – The Rolling Stones. The “Angie” in this 1973 Rolling Stones hit song has always been speculated upon, with the most common story being that it’s about Mick Jagger’s rumored affair with David Bowie’s ex-wife, Angela. Jagger never gave the story any credibility, though. And since Stones guitarist Keith Richards had a daughter named Angela born in 1972 (she was also immortalized in the song “Dandilion”) it’s possible they just used the name “Angie” because they liked it.
9. “Diana” – Bryan Adams – The song, written in March 1984, was intended as a light, comedic song about the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer. The song was not included on Adams’ Reckless album because Adams was worried about offending the royal couple so it was later released as a b-side on the single, “Heaven” which happens to be our wedding song. Though the song is assumed to be about Diana and Prince Charles, the song never explicitly identifies the characters as such. Furthermore, is it never mentioned what Diana does (other than being a well-known celebrity), nor is Charles mentioned by name or title. A royal connection is made, though, in that Diana is identified by the narrator as “the queen of all my dreams”. Adams often performed the song during his live concerts up until the day of Diana’s death after which he retired the song permanently.
8. “Amanda” – Boston – This was the first single Boston released after a 7-year layoff and was their first and only #1 hit. The song is actually very romantic, with Brad Delp singing about telling his girl “I Love You” for the first time. “Amanda” was most likely chosen as a name because it scans so well, the perfect word to follow lines like “I’m gonna tell you right away, I can’t wait another day…”
7. “Billie Jean” – Michael Jackson – There are contradictory claims to what the song’s lyrics refer to. One suggests that they are derived from a real-life experience, in which a female fan claimed that MJ had fathered one of her twins. Jackson himself, however, stated that “Billie Jean” was based on groupies he had encountered.
6. “Cecilia” – Simon and Garfunkel – Paul Simon who this song and suggested that it’s about St. Cecilia, the patron saint of music in the Catholic tradition, and thus the song might refer to the frustration of fleeting inspiration in songwriting, the vagaries of musical fame or in a wider sense the absurdity of pop culture. The song is generally interpreted as a lament over a capricious lover who causes both anguish and jubilation to the singer.
5. “Nikita” – Elton John. This song was about the Cold War from John’s 1985 album.
4. “Oh Sherrie” – Steve Perry. The song was Perry’s biggest hit as a solo artist and written for his then-girlfriend Sherrie Swafford, who also appeared in the music video.
3. “Dirty Diana”- Michael Jackson. This song is quite different from most of MJ’s other songs as it’s darker and more seductive. This song is about a groupie.
2. “Jenny/ 867-5309”- Tommy Tutone. Snopes confirmed that the phone number mentioned in the song- 867-5309- has been a thorn in the phone company’s side for years. But it has made for a very memorable song. For a good time, call.
1. “Venus” – Shocking Blue. A song about Venus which became the most popular when covered by Bananarama, however in their version they sing, “Venus was his name”. Silly Bananarama…