I have been maintaining this blog since just before the birth of our oldest son, Linus, which would be 2004, and at that time – as you can attest to – with your first-born you make note of everything from lack of sleep to rolling over, to loosing teeth. Once the second child arrived, there were some comparisons made to the first child, but there were also situations where we had to think about whether Linus had done what Stewie was now doing. Then came Berry, and it was forget about it. By 3, you know they are not going to die if they cry for 5 minutes, and that rash… It’ll go away. Oh, she threw up? Let’s watch her and kiss of sleep tonight.
But there has been some things recently which makes me think back to Linus and Stewie to see if each child did this, or if it’s just for us the third time around.
13. Germs and dirt: Either we have a germ-a-phobe on our hands or I forgot what it’s like have a 2-year-old, or possibly it’s just a girl thing, but Berry went through a phase where for about 2 weeks she refused to bathe because the tub was dirty, or sit on a toilet seat if the toilet was dirty. Funny, yet frustrating it how I would describe it.
12. Language: “Linus is an idiot! He’s an ASS”. I do not for the life of me recall Linus using language like this towards anyone. Classmates, us, his brother or his sister, however little spark plug Stewie blurts it out daily now.
11. Nutrition: “How much sugar is in milk? How much fibre is there? Iron?” This was Berry to me the other morning as she was eating cereal and reading the box and the jug of milk. She was quizzing me… I don’t recall my boys at 2 1/2 doing this.
10. Food issues: Linus will stand beside a plate of cookies, without touching them, and point to them and politely ask if he can have one. Stewie… Dives in and stops when we catch him. I think with Berry we just keep her away so Stewie won’t influence her.
9. Picky eaters. Linus ate everything as a baby. Urban Mummy made all his food from scratch and he loved spinach, eggs, fruits, veggies, and yogurt. As he got older he got pickier to the point now that he’d be happy with plain noodles and bread. Stewie, the human garbage can was always picky to some extent but when he likes something he inhales it, ie. 5 mini-pizzas for dinner, 5 green apples a day, 2 english cucumbers for a snack, but in the last week he’s off everything. “I don’t like that anymore”. Berry… Very picky and all over the place. She starts eating what we have for dinner then when she sees the boys eating something else she wants that too, then after the meal is over she’s had 9 different things. I honestly have no idea what her favourite foods are…
8. Bathing. Linus is a fish. Stewie HATED the water and when him and I did swimming lessons, he spent the first lesson clinging to me keeping every inch of his body out of the water. It terrified him. Berry, hated the water too, having never done swimming lessons, and freaking out in the bath when I tried to wash her hair. Now she likes it but I recall both boys hating to have their hair washed… I believe. It’s the bath blur.
7. Motoring (or motor-mouth): All 3 of my kids walked late – 15 months – nd talked early, in some cases stringing together 2-3 words before the age of 1, but I have the feeling that Berry’s vocabulary is the best! She strings together smart sentences and they surprise me most of the time. The other day I took the many decorative pillows off our bed and placed them on the floor. In walked Berry and said this; “Oh, why are all the pillows on the floor? Did you put them there, Daddy? They don’t belong on the floor, they’ll get dirty… Silly. I’ll help you move them”. Whew.
6. Sleep… Oh sleep. Linus has always been a very sound sleeper – he slept through Stewie’s birth (a planned home birth) at the age of 22 months. Stewie slept for 2-3 hours at a time for 10 months which makes him a not so good sleeper. Berry gets into bed and sings, talks and plays for what seems to be hours. I don’t remember if the boys played like this because we were too exhausted at that time to pay attention and who knew there would be three of them to compare too…
5. Sports: My boys never liked sports. I’m pretty sure getting them to try hockey or baseball was difficult but with Berry it’s different She flips out not when I ask her to play but when she cannot participate. She loves sports. Granted, when there is sports on the TV, she says; “Daddy, is this basketball? Hockey? Wrestling?” LOL. She cannot tell them apart but she’s going to be a star. Competitive and focussed. Yay.
4. Technology: Linus’ first word was iPod. Stewie iPhone and Berry, well it should have been iPad. But Berry can open up and set up that iPad and get her games working and move through them with ease. I can’t recall if my boys were as proficient at that age. Sure now, I’ll give my iPad to Linus to fix, but Berry gets it too..
3. Wrestling: I love wrestling. It makes me laugh and no one is allowed to watch it, but if it’s 0n sometimes they catch a glimpse. Until recently Linus and Stewie had zero interest in wrestling. Now it’s somehow become part of their lives as it did mine growing up. Linus asks if Mark Henry can life our treadmill, Stewie compared a distance of 7-feet to the height of the Great Khali and Berry runs around my house making the hand gestures and sounds that Kane does before he sets the ring post on fire. She also loves Brodus Clay’s theme song, and we’ll catch her singing “Gonna call my momma… ya ya ya ya!”
2. Religion: Linus goes to a private Jewish day school. Stewie went to public school last year and is at the same school as his brother. Linus thinks the world started by G-d when Adam and Eve were placed on the earth. Stewie said, no its the big bang and evolution and dinosaurs were on the planet first. Berry, on the other hand is going to a very religious Jewish nursery school and is the more religious of the 3 of them and that makes me laugh since we’re not that observant. At least they’ll have each other to speak Hebrew to, since I have no idea what they’re saying.
1. Respect. It might just be the mob mentality, but when the three get going we fear for our lives. LOL. But seriously, Linus was respectful growing up, testing the limits every now and them but understanding his place. Stewie on the other hand has no qualms about telling us how much he dislikes his brother or me for “wanting to kill him (read sending him to his room where he won’t get to come out ever or eat or drink water). He’s a little dramatic. Berry has been observing her brothers and we’re kind of hoping she stays happy and loving and follows neither of her brothers. I doubt that will remain the same.
Tell me about your kids… If you have more than one does the memory fade away or what have you done to preserve it?