Have you wondered why your older iPhone seems to be slower than the newer models? Does it seem that your phone has a harder time downloading apps, connecting to the Internet or performing simple tasks?
I’ve always suspected it was a gentle nudge, or reminder from Apple to upgrade to the newer phone. I never liked it, but thought it was a possibility.
Well, Apple have now admitted that they slow down some models as they age, but they do so only because the phones’ battery performance diminishes over time and they want to preserve the battery for you, the customer.
Well, isn’t that nice to know.
Apple is trying to prolong the life of iPhones. Shouldn’t they have told this to us? At any point in time?
Turns out this practice was confirmed after a customer shared performance tests on the social media site, Reddit. They tests were performed after noticing that their iPhone 6S had slowed down considerably as it had aged but when a new battery was installed, the phone sped back up again.
Apple has now confirmed that it made changes to iOS to manage ageing lithium-ion batteries in some devices, as these batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, when they have a low battery charge or as they age over time.
As a result, Apple released a feature for the iPhone 6, 6S and SE to “smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions.”
They have recently extended that feature to the iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2.
What’s the deal with the Lithium batteries?
Well, they degrade over time because of what happens to the battery during the charging and discharging cycle. They very slowly erode, meaning they are able to hold less of a charge. High voltages and high temperatures expedite this erosion.
Here is where the message was really poorly managed, however. By taking away performance that somebody has paid for, you might have communicated that much, much better at any point in time. Otherwise, you get a combination of urban myth and conspiracy theory – the idea that Apple builds planned obsolescence into their iPhones – slowing down older models to make you run out to purchase the next model or version.
But why wait until the rumour has been proven to be true before coming out with the facts.
When Toronto City Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti alleged he, Mayor Rob Ford and other “right-wing” councillors at Toronto City Hall have been victims of a “left-wing conspiracy”, everybody laughed. When Mammoliti said that a preliminary investigation he has conducted has pointed to a group of people “out to do some damage, personal damage” to the right-wing councillors on City Council, people again laughed and thought Mammoliti was going crazy.
A former member of Mayor Rob Ford’s executive committee, Mammoliti claimed that he has been followed by private citizens here in Toronto and that his home and office phones have been tapped. He raised the question about just how badly do the left-wing councillors really want him, Ford and the other right-of-centre councillors out of office, replaced with the free-spending, union-loving, tax-the-rich, left-leaning council which almost brought Toronto into bankruptcy. (Insert Olivia Chow here).
Mammoliti revealed that an investigation has pointed to a number of key suspects; city councillors, private citizens, lawyers in this city, who have united together to ruin the reputation of the right-wing candidates, force the public to sour on them and run them right out of office and we need to look no closer than the legal actions brought against Mayor Rob Ford by a private citizen – a very pro-NDP citizen, no less – which was handled pro-bono by another pro-left-wing lawyer in Toronto, Clayton Ruby. This legal action resulted in the temporary removal of the Mayor from office and tarnished his reputation. The citizen who was the front-man of this lawsuit and his lawyer were eagerly expecting the Mayor to cover the court costs, around $150,000.00, however, upon winning the appeal Ford had gone to the court to ask his costs be covered by this duo. They in turn have asked Ford to cover the costs by taking the money from the taxpayers of Toronto, stating the individual who brought the case against Ford does not have those kinds of funds.
We’re also waiting to see if lawyer Clayton Ruby is going to follow through on his pledge to waste more taxpayers money and take the appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada. This case is that important but it’s not going to challenge the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, is it??
So what do you make of this conspiracy?
Following this failed attempt to remove Ford from office, came an audit of his 2010 election funding in which Ford over-spent by $40,000.00. Yes, he kept very detailed books and records and the auditor was impressed by that, and yes there was no further action against him, but I’m sure every single Councillor would be in contravention of the Elections Act if scrutinized by audit. Where are the other audits of team lefty? Oh, yeah. Not in Toronto.
Did you know Mammoliti is also up against the same audit?
What about the audit of George Smitherman when he ran for Mayor? He promised to reveal who donated to him campaign but never did. Something to hide, maybe?
So let’s move on to the conspiracy…
When Mayor Ford announced (for probably the 50th time) that he was seeking right-leaning (fiscally Conservative) citizens to run in the next election, in order to get better traction on some of his ideas to reel in spending, cut costs and reduce duplication of services, the cries from the left were deafening. I think the most critical of them all, Adam Vaughan, wanted to haul Ford before some panel or committee or something, yet again, to be slapped on the wrist. Apparently it’s in bad taste to say it, but it’s okay to skulk around with your left-wing colleagues to find ways to overthrow the Mayor.
Mammoliti mentioned specific knowledge of secret meetings of left-wing councillors and their “inner circle” with their plans to run the “righties” out of City Hall and that… Well, that is okay.
So as the crack researcher that I pretend to be, I have uncovered their plans and compiled a list of the top thirteen items on the secret agenda of these left-wing councillors.
13. Hire unionized workers at $85.00/hour to remove all the doors at City Hall which open to the right and re-hang them so they open on the left.
12. Re-name any streets in the Greater Toronto Area which bear the name “Ford” to “Fraud”.
11. Create their own newspaper aimed at reporting items supported by the left and trashing any thoughts or suggestions by the right. Oops, that one was done already in triplicate; Toronto Star, NOW magazine and the Grid.
10. Move to teach children left-wing socialist views at schools and institutions of higher-learning. Oops. That already happens too…
9. Remove the term “Right of Way” from the Highway Traffic Act and replace it with “Wrong Way”.
8. Pressure Ford Canada to rename its Canadian operations and to give its unionized workforce the credit they deserve, so all cars coming from their factories will cost $350,000.00 each, but a wealth tax on the rich will bring the price down to $45,000.00.
7. Bringing in a fat tax aimed to penalize fat people, especially ones who take office and do not lose weight like David Miller did.
6. Ban football in Toronto.
5. After sending that CBC “comic” Marg whatever her name is to harass Ford on his driveway, the lefties are lining up more characters to disrupt Ford’s personal life including; Doink the Clown, David Suziki, ummm, other famous left-wing Canadiens like Brandon Prust, Max Pacioretty and Travis Moen, and the gravy train and a few others… If they’re smart, however, they will stay out of Ford’s backyard.
4. Toronto will implement a new wealth tax on all citizens making more than $65,000.00 a year (politicians exempted) and the new tax will be call the “Open your Wallet” tax whereby those rich bastards – damn them for getting educated and working hard to earn money and pay taxes – will pay to ensure that Toronto’s lowest class are able to move into Forest Hill or the Bridle Path like everyone else.
3. Shows like AM640, SunTV and the like will come with disclaimers warning the risks associated with their dangerous, fiscally conservative views.
2. Left-wing media will post unflattering pictures of Ford everywhere, including putting his head on top of a naked body in order to… Well, I don’t know why they did that actually…
1. The number one thing that the secret left-wing group will do is to continue to pester and harass all the right-wing candidates in Toronto, in Ontario and in Canada and turn all the moderates into fiscally Conservatives resulting in right-wing political leaders at all three levels of government for a long time. This secret operative will forever be known as Operation backfire.
In addition, there will be many new jokes as a result of this secret plan, such as; “How many socialist, left-wing people does it to take down Mayor Rob Ford?” Answer: We’re not sure yet.