Today is Thursday, which means it’s a very good time to create a Thursday Thirteen post – and the topic this week is 13 facts about The Urban Daddy.
I’ve been writing this blog since 2004. That makes for a very old blog, eh?
I have written 1,434 Blog posts for The Urban Daddy
I have a tax blog -for my real job – called inTAXicating, which I started in early 2008 and I have written 369 Canadian Tax posts for that site.
10. I used to work in the Federal Government, in the Canada Revenue Agency, for almost 11-years before resigning to take a managerial position in the private sector. The change was long overdue.
9. In the CRA, I collected taxes, trained employees, took 3-years of my accounting designation and then completed my MBA.
8. I don’t play many online games – after my wife freed me from my Cityville addition – I only play Tap Baseball, Clash of Clans and Tiny Tower Vegas.
7. I live near one of the most affluent neighbourhoods, in the largest city in Canada – the 5th largest in North America, Toronto
6. I ran for student council president of my university only to lose to some guy named Jian Ghomeshi It was a half-assed attempt, but fun nonetheless. I vaguely remember meeting him and his campaign manager in the main hall and one, or both of them, telling me that they were going to tear down my campaign posters and threatened me about something. I was wearing my cowboy boots (don’t judge me) at the time, and with them stood about 6 foot 2. I was NOT intimidated.
5. I’m fiscally conservative but hate guns, racism and drugs. I love common sense, saving money, and being upfront and honest.
I’m a rule follower. Clear your sidewalks. Don’t throw snow in the street. Don’t disrupt others. Live and let live.
3. I’m learning as I get older things I should have learned much younger. Foods, anxiety, ADD, how to treat those you love…
2. I love being a Dad. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Love attending events and being there for the kids. Something I either didn’t have or don’t remember. It was a different time back then, but still.
1. I ran a left-handed students association at my university – the school gave us an office, and money to find areas where lefties were being discriminated against. Our main beef was that some of the largest lecture halls had no left-handed desks, or if they did, the desks were on the far-left side of the lecture hall. Not cool if you’re vision sucks like mine does.
Now it’s your turn.
What are 13 facts about you that make you who you are?
It’s been a while since I’ve had the pleasure to compile such a list, but here are the 13 Things you WILL be talking about today (and tomorrow, etc)
You know you’re a Dad when… Breakfast on my way to a meeting this morning was: a handful of stale pretzels, a handful of peanuts, a Clementine orange and a container of 1-day-old cucumber slices.
Not busy enough on Twitter, US President Donald Trump is stirring up the debate on abortion with his fellow males. Donald, in less that 140 characters, I want to tell you this, “Stay out of my uterus!”
The “Doomsday clock” has moved to 11:58pm for the first time since like 1954. This means nothing to me, to be honest, and I didn’t even like the cartoon Doonsbury, so there!
5. GM is cutting 800 Canadian jobs and moving them to Mexico… Damn. I hope Trump doesn’t hear that. In retaliation, Canada has agreed to build a wall between Canada and Mexico. Damn you capitalism!!!
6. I don’t know where you live, but here in Toronto where we need road tolls to keep the 905’ers out (see wall building), we have pot holes the size of, well, Mexico. One such pot hole cost my wife her front tire and rim. Damn you Mexico!
Mary Tyler Moore passed away, and after being reacquainted with her show recently I came to realize that her TV feminism was inspiring and much needed. She will be missed.
The Toronto Maple Leafs do not stink… Am I dead???
9. I read somewhere that Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s mother had met the Donald (see President Trump earlier) back in the 70’s. I thought the writer was trying to convince us that Donald Trump was his father, and when I told this to someone, they said, “Trump? No. Castro, yes! They even look alike!!” What?!?
New expression in The Urban Daddy dictionary; “Playing your trump card” Means saying whatever it takes to get what you want. Truth, lies, half-truths… whatever!
Trumpanomics. Putting America first. Hopefully Canada second. Could change direction at a moments Tweet and may or may not be accurate or true… Nobody knows…
2 hours before turning over reigns of the US to Trump, Former President Obama sent $221 million dollars to the Palestinian authority. It would be a shame if that money was not used to build infrastructure and was used by the “leadership” to acquire weapons, build tunnels or for their pockets. If you want your own state, start acting like responsible leaders and put your people first! As for Obama… Not cool!
One week of President Trump and here is what we know: Torture good, Mexico bad. Jobs good, jobs from tourists in Islamic countries bad. Woman bad. Free Trade bad. The Apprentice good. Climate change – fake. Vaccinations – fake.
(It’s my Trump calculations…) Tim Horton’s is opening up in… Gulp… Mexico. Don’t tell Trump. He’ll kick the coffee company out of the US. Or, those in the southern US will need a really long straw to sip those yummy Timmy’s beverages.
This week’s Thursday Thirteen is going to be all about Wrestling. With the Royal Rumble just last weekend and TNA Impact undergoing some sort of transformation I thought it might be a good time to air my thoughts and get some feedback from the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community).
So sit back, take your vitamins, say your prayers and don’t make me F5 you!
Is it TNA or Impact? I watch these shows each and every week and I hope they are able to pull through, but after all these years I still don’t get it. For example, it’s “TNA Genesis”, and the World title belt says “TNA” on it, but the turnbuckles and ring apron say “Impact Wrestling”.
Austin Aries is fantastic! This guy is gold. He reminds me of a young Ric Flair but he needs to stay in TNA. He’s the King there… He is someone who I would pay to see!
I can understand why CM Punk left the WWE. Batista, Brock Lesner, the New (Old) Age Outlaws… Listen to the fans. They detest these guys. They’re boring. They’re old. I don’t want to see them more than once. I don’t want to even see them in a match beating 3MB.
Speaking of 3MB… Is it not time for Drew McIntyre to step up and out of the group. He reminds me of a thinner Barry Windham. I could see them in matches and Drew doing all the work then developing a nasty attitude and taking off on his own. He could be a Paul Heyman guy!
TNA / Impact does a terrible job of character development. I’ll fast forward through Gunner, and even Bobby Roode and James Storm lack charisma. Plus, the Bro Mans??? How did that just sneak out of nowhere…
Still on TNA / Impact – What’s up with the title changes? They come at the worst time. Gail Kim on a roll – destroying everyone in sight, and then back comes Madison Rayne who was a villain last time we saw her, and then boom. Title change.
BroMans? Really? I think the problem here is that I have been having a hard time taking them seriously based on their character development. Then they become champs, and added Zena Ion, and now it seems they are just getting to that point where they look like a tag team.
What’s up with the Daniel Bryan Wyatt thing? The build up was long and obvious, and then it happened and then it unhappened. It doesn’t get mentioned, and now Bryan is back fighting the “Authority” and Bray Wyatt is all over the World title scene. How? Why? I think they need to cover up this mess by having the Wyatt’s add another member coming into the fold / cult.
5. Rumour has it that Sting has signed with the WWE. Why? It feels like it’s too little too late, no? He’s old, wrestles with a t-shirt on and has been beaten by EC3 and other WWE cast-offs.
4. Naomi. She is the real deal. Naomi vs. AJ and then Naomi taking off as pretty much the only female wrestler on the roster not named Tamina Snuka. Then after so ass-kicking they can remove the “Divas” championship and bring back the “Woman’s” title.
3. Dolph Ziggler is the real deal. He needs to emulate Shawn Michaels and please, lose that pink hair! He is the other guy I would pay to watch live because he works his butt off and takes all the bumps. He’s a main eventer!
2. So is Danial Bryan if they would let him go… and so is Cody Rhodes!
1. I appreciate that MVP has come in to save TNA / Impact but we’ve seen this gimmick before and it didn’t work. I hope this doesn’t bust like the Shockmaster, but I hope it helps generate more interest and keeps the product alive. TNA / Impact is NOT the WWE. Never will be, but old WWE stars need somewhere to go
Honourable mention to the camerawork in the WWE. They have got to STOP the in-and-out camera work. It’s frustrating, annoying and makes it hard to watch the action!
Not feeling very original today, lol, when I found this post sitting in my draft folder from April. It was mostly complete, only missing the last three songs, which at that time seemed impossible… That was until SongPop came along.
I love SongPop.
Too much. I’m good at it. REALLY good at it. Every, every genre, I can hold my own and some I kick ass in and some make me laugh but I feel bad for new challengers because with the tournament format of this game I’ve only been owned by 2 or 3 people. And by owner I mean losing all 10-15 games we play. In most cases, it’s me winning all the games, and certainly winning the tournaments.
Not that I’m keeping count, but in the 200 tournaments I have played, I would suspect that I have lost maybe 20 of them.
But let’s move past SongPop (challenge me if you would like to lose) and onto the this week’s Thursday Thirteen. So sit back, grab a box of kleenex, turn on iTunes and get ready to find your inner female.
Here are 13 cool songs about women.
13. “Beth” -Kiss. This 1976 tearjerker was a big hit for the rock group Kiss and although the name “Beth” was fictional, the song – about band members missing their ladies while they were out on tour – was all true.
12. “Rosanna” – Toto – The song was written by David Paich, who has said that the song is about several girls he had known. As a joke, the band members initially played along with the common assumption that the song was about Rosanna Arquette, who was dating Toto keyboard player Steve Porcaro at the time and coincidentally had the same name. Hmmmm. Had me fooled too.
11. “Sweet Caroline”- Neil Diamond. Although the identity of the “Caroline” in this 1969 song wasn’t discovered until 2007- when Neil Diamond revealed that the song was about Caroline Kennedy, who was 11-years-old at the time the song was recorded.
10. “Angie” – The Rolling Stones. The “Angie” in this 1973 Rolling Stones hit song has always been speculated upon, with the most common story being that it’s about Mick Jagger’s rumored affair with David Bowie’s ex-wife, Angela. Jagger never gave the story any credibility, though. And since Stones guitarist Keith Richards had a daughter named Angela born in 1972 (she was also immortalized in the song “Dandilion”) it’s possible they just used the name “Angie” because they liked it.
9. “Diana” – Bryan Adams – The song, written in March 1984, was intended as a light, comedic song about the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer. The song was not included on Adams’ Reckless album because Adams was worried about offending the royal couple so it was later released as a b-side on the single, “Heaven” which happens to be our wedding song. Though the song is assumed to be about Diana and Prince Charles, the song never explicitly identifies the characters as such. Furthermore, is it never mentioned what Diana does (other than being a well-known celebrity), nor is Charles mentioned by name or title. A royal connection is made, though, in that Diana is identified by the narrator as “the queen of all my dreams”. Adams often performed the song during his live concerts up until the day of Diana’s death after which he retired the song permanently.
8. “Amanda” – Boston – This was the first single Boston released after a 7-year layoff and was their first and only #1 hit. The song is actually very romantic, with Brad Delp singing about telling his girl “I Love You” for the first time. “Amanda” was most likely chosen as a name because it scans so well, the perfect word to follow lines like “I’m gonna tell you right away, I can’t wait another day…”
7. “Billie Jean” – Michael Jackson – There are contradictory claims to what the song’s lyrics refer to. One suggests that they are derived from a real-life experience, in which a female fan claimed that MJ had fathered one of her twins. Jackson himself, however, stated that “Billie Jean” was based on groupies he had encountered.
6. “Cecilia” – Simon and Garfunkel – Paul Simon who this song and suggested that it’s about St. Cecilia, the patron saint of music in the Catholic tradition, and thus the song might refer to the frustration of fleeting inspiration in songwriting, the vagaries of musical fame or in a wider sense the absurdity of pop culture. The song is generally interpreted as a lament over a capricious lover who causes both anguish and jubilation to the singer.
5. “Nikita” – Elton John. This song was about the Cold War from John’s 1985 album.
4. “Oh Sherrie” – Steve Perry. The song was Perry’s biggest hit as a solo artist and written for his then-girlfriend Sherrie Swafford, who also appeared in the music video.
3. “Dirty Diana”- Michael Jackson. This song is quite different from most of MJ’s other songs as it’s darker and more seductive. This song is about a groupie.
2. “Jenny/ 867-5309”- Tommy Tutone. Snopes confirmed that the phone number mentioned in the song- 867-5309- has been a thorn in the phone company’s side for years. But it has made for a very memorable song. For a good time, call.
1. “Venus” – Shocking Blue. A song about Venus which became the most popular when covered by Bananarama, however in their version they sing, “Venus was his name”. Silly Bananarama…
Funny how I can come up with a list of 13 things that bug the crap out of me but if I had to find 13 things that make me happy… Not so easy.
So sit back, take a deep breath, squeeze that tension ball really tight and let’s go…
13 Things that bug the crap out of me;
13. Drivers that do not signal – Do they not realize that by not indicating which way they are going they can cause accidents like the idiot driver who made a right turn on to the street I was driving along. That right turn cut off a car coming through the intersection and that dumb ass, clearly frustrated, just pulled into my lane to go around this car. Problem is that I was there. I swerved, she quickly zipped into the oncoming traffic and made a quick left off the street (again without signalling). I glared at the car that made that illegal right turn but they looked perplexed.
12. Lack of feedback – The world would be a better place if everyone spoke their mind and helped others succeed instead of surprising them with bad news. Would you not want that same courtesy extended to you? For sure!
11. Judging a book by its cover – I’ve done it and been shocked at how stupid that was. Give people a chance and let them show you what they can do. This leads into the next point…
10. Listening to others without making your own judgement – Another faux pas. I have always taken into consideration feedback from others but never used that to formulate a decision about others. In previous roles I found those people pegged as “loners” or “troublemakers” usually has as much to offer if not more than others but no one gives them a chance…
9. Pretentiousness – I see the Lululemon pants, and the skin and bones and I know when I see people walk around with their noses in the air that they are doing so to shelter themselves from having real conversations with real people. Yes you may drive a nicer car, have more money, richer parents, wear nicer clothes, but the only people who think you are the cat’s meow are those in your clique. The rest of us wish you would get real and stop being so unhappy…
8. No BlogHer for men (sorry Dadsummit 2.0) – How many Daddy bloggers will come to Toronto for an event? Please raise your hands…
7. How creativity comes and goes – One week I post 3 articles and stick 7 in the draft folder and some weeks I’ve got nothing. What’s up with that?
6. “Excuse me.” How about using it – This one I don’t get… I’m walking in a mall, or store and I’m carrying a basket and a child and out from an aisle walks someone right in front of me that it almost knocks me over. No excuse me. No sorry. Where has etiquette gone? No app for that???
5. Cutting me off in traffic then slowing down – Another pet peeve. Me, on the road and very few other cars around when all of a sudden speedy Gonzalez comes up the rear, cuts infront of me, then slows down back to the speed limit. Would it have killed them to pull in behind me? Odds are I’m already speeding (slightly).
4. Tailing me in the diamond lane when I’m doing 120km/h – It’s the diamond / carpool lane and there are specific spots to enter and exit it. I’m doing 120km/hour and I cannot leave the lane so back the fuck up and stop sitting on my bumper. Where do you want me to go??? These types of drivers are the same who pull to the left to look around me because they think I’m happy doing 20 under the speed limit.
3. I told you so people – Yes, telling someone to “Fuck Off” can cause problem for you down the road but having someone over your shoulder telling you “I told you so” is not going to help. Please take comfort in knowing we both know it do don’t say it.
2. Those spots on my floor that creek and wake the kids – I have them, you have them, they’re the spots on the floor that creak when I’m tip toeing around at 2am checking on my kids. One creek and the kids are up and yelling, waking up the rest of the house.
1. Back fat – This one pretty much explains it self. but I saw a security video clip of myself and while I’m coming to grips quickly on the lack of hair the back fat caught me by surprise and was utterly gross. UGH.