Whenever I hear of a mass release of wrestlers from an organization I think of two things. First, it must be right after Wrestlemania which is the traditional time that the WWE releases a group of wrestlers, usually as a cost-cutting measure. The second thing that comes to mind is that a wrestling organization is in deep trouble and they are releasing either over-paid wrestlers or they are trying to reduce their payroll in order to stay alive.
So with rumours of TNA Impact wrestling having difficulty making payroll, and with ratings being down, what do the following 13 releases tell you?
13. Tara – apparently because she wanted to run a restaurant she owns in Chicago.
12. DOC – The largest of the Aces and Eights.
11. RVD – Now in the WWE
10. Matt Morgan – I think they were setting up a feud for him against Hulk Hogan. He took Hogan’s cape, grew a nasty beard, then disappeared in the middle of the Bound for Glory series – replaced by some unknown.
9. Crimson – This one I did not understand. He was off for a LONG time nursing an injury, then he made his big return to TV, only to get squashed by Abyss / Joseph Park, and then he was released.
8. Joey Ryan – They forced this guy down our throats, then out.
7. Tom Pritchard – Brother Love; “I luuuvvvvvvvvyou!” and the Undertaker’s first manager.
6. A couple of guys from that Gut Check show who have a lot of tattoos and crazy hair but who I cannot remember their names… Give me a minute…
5. Madison Rayne – apparently pregnant.
Ah, Christian York…
Damn, one more guy… Taeler Hendrix or something like that…
4. Announcer Todd Keneley – which means I have to listen to their horrible announcer Mike Teney and the awkward Tazz who was made a member of Aces and Eights in some boneheaded decision.
3. D-Lo Brown
2. Possibly Miss Techmasser
1. The kicker is the release of Jesse Sorenson, who broke his neck while wrestling for TNA, then after more than a year of rehab, close to being able to compete again, is released.
More important is not who was released. With absolute stars like Austin Aries, Bully Ray, and Bobby Roode and what used to be the Knockouts, and some serious contention from the x-division TNA is not losing that much talent by these cuts. What is unfortunate is that there were a few decent characters in this list who should still be there and there are a whole bunch of current wrestlers who should have been released, beginning with Robbie E, Robbie T, half of the Aces and 8’s – especially any names Bischoff, or Hogan who are still taking up valuable space when they cant or don’t wrestle. Rockstar Spud, and any other guy / gal who are over 45-years-old, or who do not have a clear storyline need to move on.
Of all those guys / gals released, if it means I get to see more of the above, then good for TNA. Now if the can stop Sting from Wrestling and remove the Joseph Park story-line and Gut Check, I’ll be even happier.
And what kind of a company had the GM (Hogan) actively supporting the good guys and trying to knock off the bad guys? He runs the show and tells everyone week in and week out so why doesn’t he either suspend them if they bug him so much or admit he’s a front and he’s powerless and stick to making matches… Dumb, dumb.
I would love for Mike Teney to be the next out because he’s terrible at creating or following the storylines and someone please tell the announcers how the matches are going to end so they don’t gloss over the pinfall or submission, skip the replay and move on to the next poorly orchestrated plot.