Hey look at that. 2011 is done and 2012 is here. Time sure flies when you’re balancing a full-time career, three children, programs with the kids, blogging, Cityville, ball hockey, and most importantly but unfortunately equally as busy, a spouse. It really seems like every minute of every day is accounted for and that makes for a very tired me. Heck, I try to do all my blogging at night when everyone is asleep so that I don’t take up precious family time but I’ve been so exhausted being sick, having sick children and just plain tired that my blogging has suffered and I’m not just talking about lack of posts, I mean look at this terrible run on opening paragraph… My English teach with give me a hashtag fail on this one!
But I’m not complaining. I love being a dad and wouldn’t change it for anything in the world. What I would change is coming up in my very brief 2012 New Year’s resolutions for myself and wishes for the world.
Before that, here are some stats for 2011 for this urban daddy.
Number of 2011 blog posts: 176.
Approximate number of Tweets: 2700
Approximate number of new visitors to this blog: 18,000
Most read blog posts: Posts on the Canadian live-in caregiver program, the Ontario election and just about anything political which resulted in me being pro-conservative and my series on IVF.
Most commented: My post on changes to the live-in caregiver program. I have a new post coming out soon on this exact topic.
Where did you all come from? The majority of my views came from www.facebook.com, www.twitter.com and www.,atomicreach.com. Of course subscriptions and just coming to my URL were far and away the most common.
Geographically, you’ve come from everywhere in the world. That’s cool. Also cool is the fact that some of you take the time to “like” me on Facebook and when I periodically drop by to see if you’re a blogger too, I see things that humble me (and make me think you’ve made a mistake) when you’re list of likes include; Lady Gaga, Green Day, MTV, Politics, and me.
It’s all quite crazy, and a lot of fun.
So my 2012 New Years resolutions:
- More quality time with my wife – including more frequent date nights!
- Drink more water
- Exercise regularly and not just 2-3 times per week.
- Regular push-ups and sit-ups.
- Update my work wardrobe… Quickly. I have longer than normal arms and pretty big shoulders from working out periodically so as a result I have a hard time getting dress shirts that fit. As a result, I have them custom made through www.maxwell.com and in that area, I’m doing great but I’ve got nothing else… Socks, pants, jackets… Old and boring.
- More pictures on my blog, including a picture of me to replace Linus’ yucky kitty picture.
- Squeeze in some courses into my already packed schedule. Either complete me CMA or CSC… Not sure which or where or how, but soon.
- Find greater consistency.
- Get the job done – even the yucky tasks and fast.
- Change for the sake of change.
- Get a real URL
Now for some general wishes for my city and my sports teams:
- Toronto Maple Leafs @Leafsbb20 Either make a trade for a bona fide 1st line centre to boost scoring or trade your most expensive players and make a run for a top 5 pick and try again next year with Coach Wilson.
- Playoffs for the Leafs, Raptors, Jays and Argos. We know the Toronto Rock compete night in, night out, but these other franchises are stuck in a rut it would appear to me.
- Peace in the Middle East. No more settlements. No more rockets. It’s time for all sides to grow up.
- Syria and Russia… You;’re next. Corruptions must go.
- Rob Ford, you know I support you, but stop making it easy for the left to attack you. You need to get control of your public image and do it fast. That means lose some weight, stop drinking so much, and be clear and upfront with your intentions. If you failed or made a misstep, it’s okay. The right support you. We just find it hard to defend you on that other stuff you’re not managing well enough.
- Check out my stuff at www.pinkandbluebaby.com
- I hope my wife completes her holistic nutritionist courses and gets her business up and running. She’s a super smart cookie (you didn’t think the kids got that from me, right?) and has great ideas.
What are your resolutions and wishes for your family / community?
And for the new readers, I periodically like to (re)introduce myself to you all.
My name is Warren and I’ve been blogging here since 2004, or just over 775 blog posts. I post about my family, politics, coffee and things that annoy or piss me off. 🙂 I’ve been married just over 10 years and my wife and I have 3 children; Linus is 7, Stewie is 5 and Berry is 2. I refer to my oldest as Linus because he reminds me of the character from Peanuts who carries his blanket around everywhere he goes for security. Stewie is named after the character from Family guy because we are convinced this child is going to kill us with that sweet yet intense personality. Berry, well, she’s like a strawberry. Cute and sweet.
My wife and I have masters degrees, so we expect a lot from our kids, especially them to behave and respect others. In a recent post I was having a conversation with Linus about respect and he told me it was the second most important thing in the world, next to not dying when you are born. See. Our kids get it too…
Linus is a whiz with numbers. Scary good with them. He also likes to trace out items with his fingers and touch items to get a feel for them. He’s a hands on kid who is as smart as he wants to be and as goofy as he possibly can be. He gets the goofiness from, ahem, me.
Stewie seems to be amazing at whatever he does. Besides being the same height his brother was at the beginning of this school year, Stewie is catching Linus at karate, swimming, piano, reading and pretty much whatever else he can get his hands on. This kid waits for no one and the more goofy Linus is, the more amazing Stewie becomes and that’s an understatement. Stewie, if you recall from previous posts, was ready to quit Senior kindergarten because it was “boring”.
Berry… Ahh, sweet Berry. She looks like Linus but has a little more of Stewie in her. At just 2-years-old her vocabulary and comprehension are through the roof. She can count to 10 in Tagalog, Spanish, English and pretty soon Hebrew and French. She forgets nothing and talks like she is 4.
I work in the taxation industry, so you may see some tax posts go by, although I try to keep them together on www.intaxicating.wordpress.com. That’s my tax resource blog.
To sum me up, I hate to lose more than I like to win. I believe in the good in everyone and I hate conflict. I will go out of my way to make others feel comfortable to compensate for the many years I was uncomfortable, shy and reserved. I’m not that anymore… Not at all. When I tell me staff I used to be painfully shy they laugh at me…
I have 2 sides to me. The public, professional side and the angry sports side. Polar opposites.
So welcome 2012. Welcome to all my readers, I hope you have a wonderful 2012 too, and if there is anything I can do for you, feel free to comment on a post, or drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can subscribe to my posts, you van like me on Facebook and support me on Circle of Moms, or Top Blogs or anywhere else my blog pops up. It’s those clicks that tell others that you appreciate my writing and just reading my stuff and sending notes on Facebook or in person tell me you read my stuff and I truly appreciate that.
All the best in 2012.
The urban daddy!