Some news headlines that tweaked my interest and you should care about from October 3rd, 2006.
1. TORONTO (CP) – Harlequin Enterprises Ltd., the romance-novel subsidiary of Torstar Corp., is cutting 4% of its workforce as part of restructuring aimed at saving $3 million a year. Yikes. Good thing neither my sister, nor mother read this blog… They’d be devastated since they have been avid readers of the Harlequin brand forever!
2. Training camp opens for… Basketball!!! With all the talk about the 2nd place Blue Jays going away once the Maple Leafs opened training camp and prepared for the start of the regular season, it seems rather ominous that the Raptors begin training camp today and not too much press comes with it. It’s not like my beloved Leafs are in contention to win the cup (I’ve been saying that for over 20 years!)… They might not even make the playoffs. The Raptors, on the other hand, were even worse last year, but this year are loaded with optimism. New GM, new players, same coach, that I actually like, and a bunch of players who have won championships… Either they will flop, or they will surprise. GO RAPS!
3. ‘Trailer Park Boys’ ready to hit silver screen – WHY?
4. Militant members of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah party threatened Tuesday to kill senior leaders of the governing Hamas movement – Again, why??? Can’t they all just get along? Work towards peace on their own instead of relying on the world to give them handouts because some how, some crackpot, is going to blame this on the Israelis. Paging Mel Gibson: Where are you, Mel?
5. Iran has suggested that France monitor its nuclear programme, by setting up a nuclear fuel consortium inside Iran – Oh, thank goodness. I do NOT trust the Iranians… Holocaust deniers that they are, but the French… Wait… Who the hell can trust the French?!? Figures. A match made in heaven… Or hell. France’s response… Surprise. Kind of in the “who us???” way. Later in the day they said “no”. Smart. Surprisingly smart.
6. A decade before Belinda Stronach met Tie Domi, she had an affair with another ex-Maple Leaf, Jerome Dupont, his ex-wife says – LOL. Jerome Dupont?!?! Give me a break. Now EVERYONE is having affairs with Jerome Dupont. Give the poor guy a break. Stick to famous people, please! LOL. Jerome Dupont.
7. Two hijackers, of the Turkish Airlines flight forced to land in Italy, have surrendered and will ask for political asylum, an Italian police official said. They hijacked the plane as a protest to anti-Muslim suggestions from the Pope about the Muslim religion being a violent one. Obviously, these braintrusts thought the best way to protest was… Through violence. Where are the sane Muslims who should be coming forward in droves to put the rest of the world at ease? Burn an effigy of the Pope here, blow up a building there, set fire to a flag over here, put the bounty on the head of someone over there.
I thought the comment that Muslims would topple and convert all Christians was a little bit excessive, but apparently I was the only one. Sounded like there might be a little “Hitler-complex” in that statement, no? Does anyone not find it hypocritical that it’s NOT okay to talk bad about Mohammed, but it IS ok to threaten the Pope???
Any news this week – October 3rd, 2006 that deserves to be mentioned? Please send me an email.