This week’s Thursday Thirteen comes with less than a month before the expected due date of child #2. I am already looking forward to my second parental leave as an opportunity to get moving forward just a bit faster on my goals and our family goals. I am 2 years into my MBA and I know deep down inside that my free time is disappearing fast, and I’ll have enough trouble finishing my courses let alone getting to the 13 things on this list.
But here are the 13 items I’d like to get done before my time gets further shortened as a Daddy of 2.
13. Lose weight. I still have to drop the baby weight I gain with child #1, when I would get up in the middle of the night, then eat.
12. Learn to play the guitar. I’d love to check out that instrument, have since middle school, when I wanted to own an electric guitar.
11. Move forward faster on my promotional business. There is nothing wrong with earning additional income and learning how to speak with people…
10. Complete a full inventory of the craft / scrapbooking items in our “store” so that we can start selling items online and have them ready for local shows and events.
9. Ugh. Read the manual for my iPod to learn how to get the music from the computer onto the iPod and into an order that I like. Right now I’ve got the same songs over and over again which were on CD’s I uploaded. I need more music and better music…
8. Take cooking classes with or without my wife (preferably with her, mind you) so that I can take some of the pressure off when our child is born. Also, she’s a fantastic cook – getter better by the day – so she might just appreciate the hands’ on experience.
7. Use my MBA and the time I have off to find a way to get into the private sector where I can work as hard as I need to and be recognized for my effort, work ethic, knowledge and leadership. I’ve enjoyed the majority of my time in the government but it’s time to move on…
6. Add to my professional network. I somehow made it to my mid-30’s without a whole lot of friends (my fault) and while we’ve made a bunch of friends through Linus’ school and various other organizations however in order to make the jump to the private sector, I firmly believe that I need to network more.
5. I need to take up a sport which won’t kill me. Tennis, running, ball-hockey… All sports which my doctor told me not to play all the way back in 1986.
4. Find more activities in common for my wife, son and I.
3. Get our house in order finally so it looks more like a home and less like we are renters.
2. Arrange for a new opportunity when I get back to the office so that I can learn the most before my (hopeful) departure.
1. Sleep. I hear it’s going to get worse too when #2 arrives.