|Thirteen foods I have (re)introduced my wife to, and her to I
1. Cherries – We bought some on our honeymoon in France and I tought her to spit the pits out of the window. “Pit-spitting” became a trip tradition from there.
2. Peas in a pod – Yummy. Bought a basket at the farmer’s market in St. Jacobs, Ontario, and then another basket, then another, then a bushel. When in season, they are irrestible
3. Cammembert – Also from our Honeymoon. When in France, do as the French do. Baguettes, fresh veggies and cammembert. At first, the UrbanMummy would cut off the rind, the best part, but after a while she grew to love it.
4. Beef – This was a tougher one. When I met UrbanMummy, she bas basically a vegetarian and had been for almost 12 years. Me, a carnivore, had to do something about that, so every date we had, I would eat some sort of meat (or flesh, as she likes to call it) and offer her some. It all culminated the night before our wedding, during the out-of-towners dinner when she ate my entire steak from The Wildfire Grill.
5. Chicken Wings – for someone who does not / can not eat flesh off a bone, this was a big challenge. At first it was only the drumstick, leaving me with the crappy wing part. But now, she eats them all. Phew.
Now the list changes a little to include foods that I have not eaten that UrbanMummy introduced to me that we eat.
6. Indian Cuisine – I shudder to think what I was missing by not knowing of this delicacy until about 5 years ago. Now, I can’t get enough of it.
7. Ethiopian Cuisine – see number 6.
8. Tofu – is actually quite good and very versatile. I like the way it takes the flavour of whatever you are cooking it in.
9. Sour Cream with Taco’s – Being Jewish I grew up not mixing meat and milk, so whenever we ate tacos at home, we would have real meat in the tacos, so no sour cream, and tofu cheese. But after marriage, UrbanMummy introduced me to fake meat, and then cheese AND sour cream on my tacos. YUM. I’ll never go back. Previously, I only ate sour cream on my french toast (try it!!) and potatoes.
10. Dim Sum – went from being an odd food to a mainstay. My wife loves Dim Sum. It might even have been her first food after baby food. lol.
11. Cookie Crisp – back to a food I introduced to UM, I remember stores pulling all the cookie crisp (probably due to poor sales) and only being able to find it in these kosher-only stores because, well, it was kosher. A few months ago, my sister brought me / us back 3 boxes from the US and it seemed to hit the spot for my expecting mate. She devoured the boxes. I need more !!!
12. Balsamic Vinegar – yuck. Hated it. Everything about it, until I found that UrbanMummy likes to cook with it. Now, a salad isn’t a salad, unless it has balsamic vinegar dressing on it.
13. Rolaids – Whatever would the UrbanMummy have done without Cherry rolaids?? Pregnancy heartburn can be a killer. Poor thing has gone through 3 bottles so far this pregnancy. 5 bottles last pregnancy. 2 months to go, and 2 bottles shy.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)