I was added to the list of 7 new blogs by Dan Bohmer who writes Nine and a Half Hours Ahead http://danbohmer.wordpress.com/ as part of him receiving the One Lovely Blog Award.
Dan is a US Soldier overseas in Afghanistan. He’s a father and he’s been blogging as an outlet in order to share some of his pictures and his thoughts. I don’t think I have to go into detail about my thoughts on those who enlist in the services and who put their lives on the line to protect our countries. In my opinion it is probably the most selfless, most courageous, thing one can do and I respect these men and women for doing something I could not do, but would if I had to.
So because Dan left me a note to nominate me and that he enjoys my blog (thank you Dan, the feeling is mutual), I am proudly accepting this award and complying with all the rules. I also encourage you to check out Dan’s blog. Read his thoughts, look at his beautiful pictures and enjoy.
The rules: To post 7 things about myself and then to nominate seven other fantastic, inspiring bloggers:
1. My first online identify was “SpeakEasy” because I thought the concept of a speakeasy was very cool. When my wife became the “Urban Mummy” it only seemed to make sense that I became the “Urban Daddy”
2. I grew up with a baseball glove on my hand, a baseball cap on my head and a hockey stick nearby, but never played any organized sports until I was 19-years-old. At 41, I’m still playing!
3. I started and ran a club in University for left-handed students. The University subsidized me and provided me an office to use at my leisure and it was massive.
4. I ran for student council president in my 3rd year of University and lost to some kid named Jian Ghomeshi. Look him up. He’s done quite well for himself since that landslide victory.
5. I was approached to be a regular participant on a TV show as a “Daddy Blogger” but turned it down because at that time it’s not something I could see myself doing. As I get more comfortable in my skin, the door to something like that slowly opens again…
6. I’ve been blogging since 2004 and that precedes the urbandaddy.com site that promotes cool things in big cities and urbandaddy.com.au which sells shoes.
7. Ball-hockey: I once scored a goal on a slapshot from beside my own net. It was our only goal in a 10-1 loss. I have played well over 1000 games and have never been in a fight or injured another player on purpose. I have, however hit someone hard enough that their shoe flew off and went over the boards.
Now for the seven utterly fantastic, must-read, blogs – they are not rank ordered, so the first one listed is not ‘better’ than the seventh one.
For those that I select, I want to reiterate that I completely understand if you do not wish to continue to keep the award chain going.
Just know that I enjoy your blogs!
1. Lazy Photographer; http://www.lazyphotographer.ca/
2. Funny Things Are Everywhere; http://www.mapsgirl.ca/
3. Edudad; http://edudad.com/
4. Luke, I am Your Father; http://liayf.blogspot.ca/
5. Good, Bad, Wicked; http://goodbadwicked.com/
6. Daddy’s In Charge; http://www.daddysincharge.com/
So for each of the above 7 blogs named, I am passing along to you the One Lovely Blog Award. The avatar is below and you can add to your blog if you would like, or you can ignore this and continue writing some amazing posts and taking some incredible pictures.