Apple’s iPad was only a few hours old and Twitter was full of comments on it. The number one trending topic was #Itampon. Now we hear news that Apple is already facing legal troubles. Not terribly surprising, as “iPad” is hardly original and apparently Apple has somewhat of a history, stealing registered trademarks of other companies.
A Japanese electronics company, named Fujitsu, supposedly built a handheld computing device way back in 2002 and called it the iPad. Fujitsu wanted the iPad name back then and still wants it today. The company first applied to trademark the name “iPad” in 2003, though the application ran into problems because another company — Mag-Tek — was already using the name for another product.
That’s right, the name iPad is hardly unique! But here is the twist…
In early 2009, Fujitsu’s trademark application was declared abandoned by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, but the company re-opened its application in June – probably upon hearing that Apple was considering the name for their new product. Best way to make money, eh? Since the re-instatement of the Fujitsu application, Apple has been trying to take it away (via proxy) — in fact, they’ve filed three petitions to extend the deadline and have until February 28th to oppose Fujitsu’s claims on the name.
So while Apple’s lawyers and Fujitsu’s lawyers battle it out in court, there are yet other products using the semi-trademarked name “iPad” — including a padded bra by a Canadian lingerie company called Coconut Grove Intimates, some auto parts by German company Siemens, and a tablet computer made my ST Microelectronics.
Who will win this epic battle?
Wonder if iTampon is registered yet??
If you are a new reader you may not be familiar with the concept of this post. Many moons ago I used to work for the government and during that time I had the pleasure of sitting near some wonderful and interesting civil servants.
One year I had the “pleasure” of sitting near two good work friends who would spend about an hour and a half each Monday morning (from 7:30-9am) recapping their weekends and chatting about anything that popped into their minds.
One time I heard something that sounded really odd and I wrote it down. Over that year I must have posted 5 different Monday morning recaps under this title.
Below are snippets of actual conversations. I did not make them up.
Read, laugh, scratch your head and enjoy.
Things overheard on a Monday morning:
“Before Jesus came they used to sacrifice lambs, and humans to these G-ds, before Jesus came, whomever they are. Then Jesus came and said you don’t have to do that anymore… that is why I have vegetarian blood. You can’t get iron from veg so I’m drinking protein shakes…”
“If you had to take a rocket to the moon, would you not check the gas?”
“We drink cows milk because “they” found something they wanted to sell, so they promoted it and forced everyone to drink it.”
Person A “Coffee: caffeine – clogs your system – is the problem – stimulates your heart too much. Dehydrates you. Diuretic. I’ll go to green tea.”
Person B “Green tea has 4 times the caffeine of coffee…”
Person A, “Well then I’ll go to a lemon drink! Anything marketed is no good. I’ll show them! I need more lemons in my diet anyways”
“Problem with blood pressure – is you have high cholesterol and the bad is higher than the good – chance of stroke is high. “They” want you to go on pills right away. “They” don’t want to take the time to help you, “They” get money for the pills and not for helping you. If you’re overweight – stressed – blood pressure goes up – must be sick. You’re money for “Them”.”
“Sodium – ratio of potassium to sodium is 3-1. If not 3-1 then high blood pressure. People are taking potassium in their diets to even out the ratio… Yeah!.”
So my baby girls turned 2 months old today… How time flies. It never flew with both my boys because they are so tiring with their non-stop energy and they love of talking.
For Berry, I can say that because, sadly, I’ve had to work through this newborn stage and I get very little time to spend with either mummy or baby…
And tonight my boys are sleeping (for how long who knows?) in their shared room in their bunk bed with 2 pictures taped to their door. One picture looks happy the other looks sad… So I asked my wife what it was all about and this is what I got…
Apparently tonight they are back to being scared of monsters so my 5 year old drew a picture of the scariest monster he had ever seen with a line through it to indicate they are not allowed in the room.
I love the way kids think!
Thirteen things I have wanted to blog about but haven’t had the time.
13. Some stupid, fat, old, piece of shit was yelling at the staff at Tim Horton’s today because they refused to put more jam on top of his donut for free. He called the server a “stupid bitch” and was really fucking rude. I glared at him but didn’t speak up because his son, “bubba” was like 6 ft 10 and 350 pounds. He looked rather proud of “dad” for telling off the server. Way to go tough guy. I did, however, tell the manager that if I was her, I would have given back his money, taken the food from him that he already tossed at the server and told him to get his Jabba the Hutt ass out of the store and never come back. Banned from Timmy’s… Loser.
12. My 3 year old woke me up at 2am this morning complaining that his tummy hurt. In fact when I reached out to touch him, he was sopping wet. Head to toe. Upon further patting down I found that he had no night time diaper on and had pee’d himself top to bottom. I changed him, and him and his brother slept on either side of me for the rest of the night while I tossed and turned. In the morning, with my glasses on, I realized he did have a diaper on when he went to sleep but had taken it off in the night. #11 will explain why.
11. When asked why he took his diaper off, he said, “The elephant was waving his tail in the face of the giraffe who was biting him and the giraffe was not happy at the elephant for bugging him and the giraffe was not happy because the elephant was biting him so I took off my diaper…”
Then he repeated the same story for his mother.
10. Here are some items which did not last the first decade, 2000-2009;
- Jon and Kate
- Retirement savings
- Scripted TV
- Fax machines
- HD DVD
- Microsoft Vista
- Palm Pilots
- Microsoft Zune
9. 9 pedestrians have been killed in the Greater Toronto Area in the past 10 days. Not blaming drivers, or pedestrians, but if it’s me vs a car or bus… I don’t like those odds. I will look twice before stepping off the curb.
8. $100 and I can get my name on the ballot for Mayor of Toronto… $100.00.
7. Fionn MacCools on University Avenue in Toronto, rocks! Went there for a business lunch last Friday and in all the excitement / panic / great food, I forgot my credit card in the bill folder. I realized it on Wednesday night. So I called my credit card company, RBC who told me the last charge was my lunch at this fine establishment and there were no new charges. I asked for a 24 hour hold be put on the card and I called Fionn’s. A very nice gentleman there – believe was the manager, let’s call him Ryan (real name), told me the card was found Friday and locked away in the office. How cool. So when I’m back downtown on Monday, I will run in and grab it. If you are in Toronto, and looking for a great place to eat, go to Fionn MacCools. Their website is www.university.fionnmaccools.com. They are located at 181 University Avenue, Toronto – (416) 363-1944
6. I am listening to a few new songs on my iPod. Sick Bubblegum by Rob Zombie, Fallen Leaves by Billy Talent. Nickleback’s Burn it to the Ground… Rock!
5. That “friend” who got the personal trainer… That friend is me. 2 sessions so far and I can still move. Woo Hoo.
4. www.supernova.com Best place for Indie music whether you are a musician or a fan. Go and go often. Tell ‘em urbandaddy sent you!
3. Toyota Motor Corp issued its second large recall in two months to fix a problem with accelerator pedals that can get stuck, causing vehicles to speed up unintentionally. Fortunately it is the 2010 Highlander and not the 2009 Highlander Hybrid which we received not too long ago… Going to check in with them anyways!
2. WTF is up with this whole “sex therapy” thing. Tiger Woods is there, there is a TV show dedicated to it and seriously, does anyone believe this shit? In time of companies like Ashley Madison promoting extra-marital affairs, and the stigma of divorce being watered down is anyone surprised? It’s the best excuse / cope-out for this time and age. Sorry dear that I slept with 30 other women / men. I’m addicted to sex. It’s not my fault. I’m wired that way. I just don’t buy it.
1. Who or what the fuck is Jason Ellis and why is he on my satellite radio? I’m not sure if he’s an annoying amateur Howard Stern or if he’s brilliant. Where did he come from? And while on the topic of satellite radio… I was listening to the 90’s on Channel 9 again today and realized something… Music in the 1990’s sucked! It was all shit. After the 80’s (or retro to all you pre-pubes) music died. Sure there was the grunge area (thank G-d). But music died when the boy bands came about.