Thirteen news events that caught my eye this week
13. Madonna and Guy Ritchie to divorce… and why do we care?!? Oh, because less than 24 hours after confirming the divorce, Madonna confirms her relationship with Yankees 3rd baseman Alex Rodriguez, She’s like 50, and he’s like 28. I wonder if he calls her “Mom”.
12. Embattled Liberal Party leader Stephane Dion after leading the Liberals to their worst showing since Confederation in 1867 has refused to step down as Liberal leader saying he is not a “quitter”. So less than 24 hours after saying he is not a quitter… he decides to quit. Hello Canadians!!! This is why to never elect a Liberal party!!! Remember Jean Cretien getting elected on his red book campaign to remove the GST… It’s still here. Yet most Liberal voters were stupid enough to vote him in twice…
11. Elizabeth May – Green Party leader loses her seat and her party loses their only seat after a disastrous election. Why, can anyone tell me, would she decided to run in the same riding as Conservative Deputy Minister (and next Conservative Prime Minister) Peter MacKay??? She should have taken the Liberal (chicken) way out and parachuted herself into a safe riding. She didn’t and she has no seat.
10. Male Pattern baldness gene discovered. So when can I expect my hair back? And maybe they can find and remove the hair on my ear gene soon…
9. Former Beatle Ringo Starr will never again sign anything for any fans… I was surprised to find out that people still send him stuff to sign. In my opinion, he’s the forgotten Beatle. It was always Paul, John and George… and the guy with the funny name that rhymes with “dingo”. So I have never wanted him to sign anything before but now I do… I want to send him a ton of shit to sign… For kicks.
8. Josh Brolin has said he felt insulted when he was first tapped to play George W Bush by Oliver Stone… My thoughts; “Hey actor… shut up and act” No body wants to hear your fucking opinion.
7. A barrel of crude oil has slipped to below $75/barrel… So should I hold my breath waiting for the price to come back down to $0.60 a litre? Didn’t think so… ? The damn thing went up 3 cents a litre, before finally dropping under a dollar a litre last night… Grrrr.
6. Tia Lioni cheats on her sex addict husband for… get this… Billy Bob Thornton. UGH. The coolest thing about him was when he was married to – and banging – Angelina Jolie. Otherwise, he’s all UGH, all the time.
5. Vancouver, British Columbia – Canada’s 70-year-old law to control the release of voting results on election night has again stumbled in the age of the Internet. With in minutes of polls closing on the Atlantic Coast on Tuesday bloggers were making the results known in parts of the country were voting was still going on. “I believe the polls have just closed in Newfoundland so gentlemen, to your mark, ready, go,” read a posting from a blogger writing under the moniker The Surly Beaver. The results showing the Liberals were losing seats in that region hinted at the final outcome that saw Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper win a stronger minority government.
That would violate a 1938 law aimed at preventing knowledge of results in Eastern Canada from influencing voting in a later time zone, a spokeswoman for Elections Canada said on Wednesday.
4. Every store in Toronto with a floor area of 3,230 square feet or more should have to provide washrooms for their customers, says the city’s licensing and standards committee. Councilor Howard Moscoe (Ward 15 Eglinton-Lawrence) discovered that since 1976, the Ontario Building Code has required stores to provide washrooms - but was silent about whether they were open to customers as well as staff.
3. Reason I hate the Liberal Party of Canada, part 417. Our MP, Joe Volpe who in 8 years I have seen around the neighbourhood – even at election time – yet appears in all his campaign literature at all these events smiling and shaking hands, has actually done something other than taking donations from 14 year old boys. He asked for Stephane Dion to step down. Way to go Joe! Toronto MP Joe Volpe said Thursday Dion must resign so the Liberal party can rebuild after being reduced to 76 seats in Tuesday’s federal election, one of the party’s worst-ever showings. “Clearly, it appears that nobody’s going to give him the chance to do that rebuilding and I’d like him to go out with some dignity,” Volpe told CTV’s Mike Duffy Live.
2. Why I like Wal-Mart…Union leaders are denouncing Wal-Mart’s decision to close a Gatineau tire-and-lube shop just two months after workers there won a precedent-setting collective agreement, the first for any Wal-Mart anywhere.
In August, an arbitrator imposed a contract at the shop on Maloney Boulevard, just across the river from Ottawa. On Thursday, Wal-Mart said it would close the garage, where five mechanics work, rather than raise the prices it charges customers. Wal-Mart said the contract imposed in August increased the mechanics’ wages by more than 30 per cent.
“Our wages were competitive prior to the collective agreement. And this collective agreement makes the situation unworkable,” said Yanick Deschênes, a director of Wal-Mart in Quebec.
Good for them! Wal-Mart also yanked a store out of Quebec in 2005 after the staff had formed a union. They were warned if they did that the store would close. They ignored and the store closed. Why wont they ever learn. It’s like the Auto unions. More money, more money, better conditions, more time off, less work, and now all the big 3 automakers are going to have to file for bankruptcy. Wont they ever realize that when a $16000 car is made via $1
1. This is fantastic news!
Alberta women will be able to deliver their baby with the assistance of a midwife for free starting next spring after the province pledged to publicly fund the service that formerly came with a steep price tag.
Previously, midwifery services were not covered by the public health system, making Alberta the only province to regulate midwives without paying for the service. Couples who hired midwives had to pay a $3,500 fee.